Pages

Biyernes, Agosto 26, 2011

Is a DOST SEI Clearance needed for Philippine Passport Applications or Renewal?


I have read about this topic in several blog posts and forums online and the answers are quite MIXED. As for me, I got my first passport back in 2006 for our trip to Japan (it's in my past blogposts) and I had it renewed recently (June 2011) for my graduate studies abroad on October 2011. Here is what happened:

FOR 2006 Passport: I presented NO Travel Clearance or Endorsement Letter from DOST whatsoever.

Yes that's right. I was able to get an NBI Clearance specific for Passport Application without any DOST clearance probably because I was still a sophomore back then and my name is not yet part of the NBI database.
Also, I was able to travel to Japan without any clearance. (read here)


FOR 2011 Passport Renewal: I decided to get an endorsement letter from DOST addressed to DFA, allowing me to renew my passport.

Why? I don't know. Maybe I was thinking that I could get detected as a DOST scholar (with obligations) in DFA and would not be allowed to renew my passport. I was desperate because I am in the process of  finishing my requirements for a 5-yr scholarship abroad to start on October 2011 (Wait for a blogpost on this) and so I decided to make things official and got the endorsement letter.

But when I went to DFA to renew my passport, THEY DID NOT EVEN GET the endorsement letter, nor READ IT A BIT if I had not insisted. They only got the photocopies of my old passport. But in the end, I still insisted that they check the letter because I don't want them calling after a few days requesting me to go back. So the officer in charge checked and asked  a few people until finally she told me : IT IS NO LONGER NEEDED (What???????? Jaw dropped)

So maybe it is actually okay after all to go directly to DFA to apply for a passport without the clearance or whatever. As for the NBI Clearance requirement, you can always do away with it by submitting other IDs.

So, good luck with your passport!

8 komento:

  1. Same here! Akala ko din dati kelangan pa yung clearance. Pero hindi na hinanap sa akin. Di ko na din tinanong kasi di naman ako hinanapan. ^_^ hehe.

    TumugonBurahin
  2. salamat. sana di ako hanapan bukas.

    TumugonBurahin
    Mga Tugon
    1. ms joy, nakakuha po ba kayo passport?

      Burahin
    2. Hello Ms. Banayo,

      Curious lang, nakakuha na po ba kayo ng passport without the clearance? Thanks!

      Burahin
  3. Naalis ng may-ari ang komentong ito.

    TumugonBurahin
  4. New passport applicant here (May 2014). I was at DFA Aseana this morning and included my DOST final clearance + photocopy in the documents but the guy at the counter didn't even look at them (maybe because I gave him 2 valid IDs plus NBI clearance for travel abroad -- the green one). So I gave it to him again just to be sure. He took the photocopy and returned the original and told me to present it at the airport if I'm asked. That was it! I guess interview is no longer required. Phew :D

    TumugonBurahin
    Mga Tugon
    1. Hi ask ko lang po.. since eventually on your part hindi na kelangan nung clearance sa passport application. Sa Airport po ba hinanap din or pinakita nio pa yung clearance?

      Burahin
  5. Update lng 4/2017.. hinanahanp na po ngayon pag mag paparenew ng passport.

    TumugonBurahin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...